birding-aus

Those magnificent gadabouts in their wombat machine ......

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Those magnificent gadabouts in their wombat machine ......
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:57:15 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,
As so many on this list are mentioned and others want
to see where the wandering wanderer's are then here's
a centre forward from the wanderer's :-]

Hi John,
Well, I'm back from the Cape safe and sound and happy.
I had a wonderful trip. We saw lots of good birds. My
Australia list stands at 324 species now. Number 300
was a Great Frigatebird see just offshore from the
beach house we stayed at in Portland Road. We saw Palm
Cockatoo, Golden-shouldered Parrot, Eclectus Parrot,
Double-eyed Fig Parrot, and Red-cheeked Parrot. We got
wonderful close views of all but Red-cheeked Parrot.
We saw them flying over twice--enough to count but
very quick looks. The others were much more
cooperative. We
had 7 Eclectus Parrots in one binocular view--4 males
and 3 females. Magic! We chased the Golden-shouldereds
around for about 1/2 hour before we got a male, but
then he was in clear view in bright sun. The Palm
Cockatoo was perched along the road in a pandanus palm
as we drove into Chili Beach and then we saw him with
the wind blowing his crest around a little bit later.

Talk about a bad hair day! The Fig Parrots visited the
garden at the beach house and were too close for
binoculars to focus on them.

We started the trip at Kingfisher Park where a
Red-throated Crake is a regular visitor and ended up
on Chris Dahlenburg's Daintree River Cruise with a
lovely close view of a Great-billed Heron. It was an
absolutely wonderful trip with lovely scenery,
exciting birds and reptiles, and great company. I even
got a tutorial on Australian rules football during the
trip.

One of the tour group, Peter Slater (no--not THAT
Peter Slater), used to be an umpire for footy. The
whole trip was a wonderful experience. A couple nights
ago, two couples of Yanks stayed overnight at
Kingfisher Park before setting off for the Cape. Sid
met one of them in
the toilet in the middle of the night. The visitor
> said to Sid, "You sound like your from the United
States. Where are you from?"  Sid answered, "Western
New York." The other guy said, "Is your name Sid?"
When Sid said yes, he asked, "Where's Sharon? You guys
are famous in Australia!"  He had been reading about
us on BirdingAUS.

Hahahahaha See Russell what you've done :-]
a good handball eh.

Sid replaced all the flyscreen on the camper windows,
reinforced the canvas, and fixed the door so it
fastens shut more easily. He washed both the car and
the camper and had some work done on the car. He still
found time to relax and read and to go to the Mossman
show. He said he really enjoyed the week too. We are
going to stay at Julatten until Thursday morning then
start
toward Normanton and the Gulf of Carpenteria. We hope
to stop at Lawn Hill National Park and then go through
Mt. Isa and into the Northern Territory.

We may not be able to get onto the computer as often
once we head out that way so don't be surprised or
worried if you don't hear from us quite as often. It
is nice that you care, but we don't want you fretting
needlessly.

Say "Hi" to Hilary, and to Lee and Eggy for us.

Sid and Sharon
Sid and Sharon Genaux

on the road down under in the Wombat Shelter

=====

Trees are to birds, as fosters is to Oztralians.