birding-aus

book: "Birds of Canberra Gardens"

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: book: "Birds of Canberra Gardens"
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:06:15 +1000
Hi All,
I have often written on this line about the Garden Bird Survey (GBS) that has been running in Canberra continuously since July 1981. I have previously reported to this line that the book "Birds of Canberra Gardens" was launched on 14 June. This is built around the results of this survey and contains summaries of many of the species, based on monitoring over a 17 year period, from 1101 observer years of data. The text is somewhat derived from the analysis work I did on that quite immense database. It describes monthly abundances of the bird species and long term aspects. It is based on real data, rather than just impressions. It chronicles many major changes in our bird fauna over those 17 years. It is illustrated by mostly original, nice photographs and has a really great cover.

Several people who subscribe to birding-aus, have bought one of these books through me and I am notifying again (only because it is five weeks since my earlier message) that this offer is still available. If you are interested, to obtain one of these books, please contact me. I will then send details privately.

I am still working on my report on the COG Garden Bird Survey. This will have many similarities to but also differ from the book. It is intended for a more bird-savvy audience and won't be as pretty as the book. It will be based on 18, rather than the 17 years of continuous data included in the book. It describes the survey history and methods in detail and explains the results. It will include notes on all the species where there is something useful to say, that being far more species than in the book. Information covered is monthly patterns of abundance, interpreted relative to migration, changes in habitat use over the year, seasonal changes in behaviour and breeding, also long term trends in abundance such as increases, decreases and stability. Also timing and duration of breeding. It discusses the aspects of bird abundances and recording rates and looks at the data as a whole, describing rates at which species are recorded or found breeding etc. It also won't have the book's errors (or at least I hope it will have fewer, very different ones).

Philip Veerman (Phone 02-62314041)
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902