birding-aus

Leftfootedness in Cockatoos

To: <>
Subject: Leftfootedness in Cockatoos
From: Jack Shapiro <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:56:37 +0100
Hi Birders,

In line with the  the discussion about footedness in birds, I support the observations of left footedness in Sulfur-crested Cockatoosmade in several messages.  Having observed a large flock of these birds at Lane Cove National Park for several weeks while doing a survey last summer/spring, I noted absolute adherence to left footedness in grasping grass roots, which the birds dug up.  At least 60 birds were observed.  I also noted leftfootedness in Gang Gangs and Little Corella- though less frequently.  A Little Corella I see feeding frequently with a flock of Sulfur-crested Cockatoos at Balmoral Beach (Sydney) always uses it left foot.

In contrast, I noted use of either foot by cockatiels (pets) in grasping objects of interest.

What would be interesting is to learn the cause/origin  of this situation for those parrots that are left footed.

Does it apply to all those species that rely on holding/grasping food in order to tear it apart and eat it ?

Jack Shapiro