birding-aus

Footedness in cockatoos

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Footedness in cockatoos
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:06:56 +1000
g'Day All,

Judy Peet wrote ---
Our local Glossy Black-Cockatoos (near Dubbo, in central western NSW) seem to be exclusively left-footed.

Ian Temby wrote --
On the subject of handedness (footedness) mentioned by Judie Peet, in all of the
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos and Long-billed Corellas that I have observed, and in
a small number of Gang-gang Cockatoo observations, the birds involved were all
left-footed.  It would be interesting to know how many other birding-ausers have
observations of footedness in parrots, especially the cockatoos.

Lynda Chambers whose web page is http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc/mrlr/lec/lec.htm
has been gathering data on this subject for some time and has written several papers on the results.
Lynda welcomes more observations on this subject.

Lynda's published records reflect that some parrots (including the Sulphur Crested and Gang-gangs) show a 100% left foot preference.
(My own observations of the S-c C  support that they are left handed.)

Other species had mixed results but the majority had a preference for using the left foot.

But the records to date for the Yellow Rosella indicate it is always right footed

 All my observations of our local Ringneck (the Cloncurry Buln-buln) support the view that it is right handed/footed/clawed.
 -- but it only uses its claws where the seed/fruit can be pulled easily of the branch. Most of the time it uses the beak.

I hope I have interpreted Lynda's papers correctly

Regards,
Bob Forsyth
Mount Isa, NW Qld.