birding-aus

cockatoo behaviour

Subject: cockatoo behaviour
From: mark kliene <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:33:07 +1000
Hi all,

Further to Ian's comments, a couple of weeks ago while in Anglesea, my
wife and i were priveledged enough to observe a male and female
Gang-Gang foraging at very close range in low lying shrub obviously
using feet and beak to hold and break open seed pods, and i noted the
female using her right foot to handle the seed.

On another point, in our local Heidelberger newspaper my wife read an
article concerning the local council deliberation on the issue of
reduction of viable habitat in and around the Parade College campus in
Bundoora, for new development,- effectively jeopardising the Powerful
and Barking Owl presence. Due in part to possible loss of Red
Gum/Riparian areas along the Plenty Gorge. Is this a qualified argument?
Would Ian be kind enough to shed some light on this issue. I am afraid i
dont have any integral knowledge on the background of this debate.

Cheers,

Mark Kliene.