birding-aus

NT Bird books

Subject: NT Bird books
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:05:43 +0930
For those interested in the Darwin bird book discussion, I reviewed
Donato et al's book in one of the issues of Wingspan, and overall
was very positive about it, not from the point of view of finding
twitchable birds, but of being well introduced to the habitats and
birds of the NT. It may be good for someone to do a review of the
mangroves bird book - Australian Birding magazine?- since I
haven't seen one anywhere (point me in the right direction if one
has already been done). I agree that they are not comparable, but
reviews are a good way to highlight the pros and cons of each
individually.
I haven't posted for a while, but there's not a lot of unusual records
to report - Flock Pigeon at Darwin Sewage Works again (though
gone for the moment apparently), young Rufous Owl in the Botanic
Gardens; rather an atypical dry season probably due to the amount
of water about.

Happy birdbook reading
Niven