birding-aus

Research opportunity ?

Subject: Research opportunity ?
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:30:07 +1000
Hi everybody -

Is anyone interested in the following offer that we have received?  Maybe a
student or university department looking for a long-term study site?  If
you are interested, you can contact the property owner on Ph/Fax 03 9836
0723, or through Mike Weston of the Threatened Bird Network at Birds
Australia on 03 9882 2622 or email:

Cheers,
Hugo
-----------------------

Flora and Fauna Research and Monitoring Project - Central Victoria [
Murrindindi ]

We have a 125 Ha moderately wooded property comprising mostly steep hills
and gullies, with some 20 Ha being native bushland.  The property is
essentially run as a cattle and sheep farm; however in recent years we have
permanently fenced off from stock remnant bushland and a seasonal creek,
and created a 20 m wide wildlife corridor along 1.5 km of  hill-top ridge
to join to with native bushland. On the flatter section there is a 2 y.o.
"sandwich" blackwood and blue gum plantation subject to ongoing timber
research; and in addition there are approx 1000 ironbark trees 1-3 years
old. A small wetlands has been created in a naturally swampy area, with
surrounds planted with a mixture of eucalypts. The property is accredited
"Land For Wildlife", and there are already many native animals and birds.

As the wetlands "matures", and the plantation trees grow, in particular the
ironbarks, we are interested in properly monitoring changes in flora and
fauna, but especially in birdlife. As a result we seek people or
organisations interested in using the property for appropriate long term
research studies. We envisage this would comprise a comprehensive inventory
of current species together with seasonal and/or annual reviews over a long
period to identify changes, but we are open to ideas.

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>