birding-aus

Twitchathon 2000

To: Birding-Aus Mail <>
Subject: Twitchathon 2000
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:32:07 +1000
The Birds Australia VicGroup committee has formed a sub-committee to
work on preparations for Twitchathon 2000 - Stuart Cooney
 Susan Myers (m("bigpond.com","zansu");">)
and Lawrie Conole   For those unfamiliar
with the concept, have a look at my web site for one person's view of
the open section of the Victorian race:
http://www.bluep.com/~oco/cdph.html

Apart from being a lot of fun for participants, the Twitchathon is also
a major fun raiser for BA VicGroup's conservation and research
activities.  Regional groups in other states also rely on the 'Thon as a

fundraiser.  It's of some concern then that participation rates have
dropped over recent years.  (1) People are missing out on the fun and
excitement; (2) The amount of $$$ raised for bird conservation and
research has fallen.

So here's some advance notice.  Twitchathon 2000 will take place on the
weekend of 28-29 October 2000 - that gives you all about 3 months to get

a team together and research a route.

Stuart, Susan and I will be preparing a "Victorian Twitchathon 2000" web

site over the next few weeks.  On it we'll have the usual administrative

stuff such as registration forms, race rules, tick lists, etc.  We will
also have some tips for planning a route and running a team over 24
hours frantic birding.  We'll also help in putting aspirant racers
together into teams.  In short, we'll offer some advice based on our
experience, and from that we hope to see a bigger event this year, more
people enjoying themselves, and more fundraising!

--
L A W R I E   C O N O L E

3 Gezireh Street, Pascoe Vale South, Victoria 3044 AUSTRALIA.
Phone (03) 9354 2484; Mobile (0419) 588 993
E-mail: <>

Twitchathon:  http://www.bluep.com/~oco/cdph.html