birding-aus

Eastern Rosella numbers.

To: <>
Subject: Eastern Rosella numbers.
From: "Max O'Sullivan" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:46:10 +1000
Last weekend I drove from Brisbane to Tamworth via Toowoomba - Warialda - Bingara - Barraba -Tamworth.
On the Bingara - Barraba leg, I saw large numbers of Eastern Rosellas feeding along the roadside and had to slow down frequently for them, as well as, King Parrots, Red-rumps and Galahs to get off the road. In amongst one flock of twenty or so rosellas, there were several hybrid (X Pale-headed) birds - quite beautifully marked.
In talking with my brother in Tamworth about this, he said that a number of local farmers have noted huge numbers of rosellas in recent years and have suggested that the birds are nesting earlier than usual in the area thus beating the Common Starlings to the nesting hollows.
This sounds a little too wonderful to be true and wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.
Also, just out of Bingara I saw a family of 8 Emus - 5 being half grown juveniles from last season.