birding-aus

Ringneck Pheasants in Victoria (Aust.)

Subject: Ringneck Pheasants in Victoria (Aust.)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:52:41 +1000

From: Martin  on 12/07/2000 11:52 AM

cc:

Michael Hunter asks about the introduced Ringneck Pheasant in Victoria.  A
colleague of mine (Simon Toop of NREs Game Management Unit) supplied the
following information on the species.

Ring-necked Pheasants were first released in Victoria in 1864 on Phillip Island.
A number of further releases were made at various locations thoughout the State,
however, none of these populations has persisted.

I am unaware of any sustained populations that exist currently, however,
pheasants are released regularly on a number of licensed "Gamebird Farms" for
the purpose of recreational hunting. I think there are 5 such farms licensed in
Victoria and I know of three locations (Seymour, Macedon Ranges, Gippsland near
Loch Sport).

I think the main reason that released pheasant populations fail is due to
predation and possibly the poor survival skills of captive-reared birds. I know
that Frith (1980) expressed concern at the possibility of released pheasants
successfully establishing in the wild and competing with native species (eg.
Stubble Quail) but, to my knowledge, this has not eventuated.

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer - Scientific Advisory Committee
Parks Flora and Fauna Division
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne  3002
AUSTRALIA

Tel: 9412 4567
Fax: 9412 4586
(prefixes: Interstate 03 International 613)
email: