birding-aus

Subject: Mime-Version: 1.0
From: S Cooney <>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:24:47 +1000
Hi Birders,

Spent a nice day at French Island in Westernport Bay in Victoria on Sunday. We caught the ferry from Stoney Point across to Tankerton ($15 return) and walked north along the beach on the western side of the island.

We went tot he Island mostly to look for Orange Bellied Parrots, but as I forgot to bring the instructions about where they were last seen we didn't give ourselves much chance. A short walk along the beach and then back for the 4:30 ferry turned up 32 species, but no OBPs. In the summer the waders would be a lot more impressive, but the Whimbrel were nice to see.

I was a great way to spend a sunny winters day in Melbourne.

Regards,
Stuart

(For anyone interested, we should be flying to Fiji today )

List of birds seen near Tankerton, French Island, Victoria.

Australian Pelican, Pelecanus conspicilatus
Little Pied Cormorant, Phalacrocorax melanoleucos
Little Black Cormorant, Phalacrocorax sulcirostris
Black Swan, Cygnus atratus
Chestnut Teal, Anas castanea
Australian Shelduck, Tadorna tadornoides
White-faced Heron, Ardea novaehollandiae
Australian White Ibis, Threskiornis molucca
Royal Spoonbill, Platalea regia
Whimbrel, Numenius phaeopus
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Calidris acuminata
Pied Oystercatcher, Haematopus longirostris
Masked Lapwing, Vanellus miles
Double-banded Plover, Charadrius binctus
Red-capped Plover, Charadrius ruficapillus
Silver Gull, Larus novaehollaniae
Pacific Gull, Larus pacifica
Caspian Tern, Sterna caspia
Crested Tern, Sterna bergii
Swamp Harrier, Circus harrier
Spotted Turtle-dove, Streptopelia chinensis
Yellow-rumped Thornbill, Acanthiza chrysorrhoa
Red Wattlebird, Anthachaera carunculata
New Holland Honeyeater, Phylidonyris novaehollandiae
Grey Shrike Thrush, Collurincla harmonica
Grey Butcherbird, Cracticus torquatus
Australian Magpie, Gymnorhyna tibicen
Australian Raven, Corvus coronoides
Welcome Swallow, Hirundo neoxena
Golden-headed Cisiticola, Cisticola exilis
European Goldfinch, Carduelis carduelis
Common Blackbird, Turdus merula