birding-aus

Chestnut-breasted Whiteface

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Chestnut-breasted Whiteface
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 09:59:14 +1000
I've seen this bird once, on 26 April 1999 at the following location:

North of Lyndhurst, South Australia at 30 12 26 S, 138 35 55 E
This location is apparently a well known one for this bird and is presumably
the place Teet was mentioning.  It is also a
bleak spot and on the day I was there, there was a strong cool wind.

At 2pm, saw three Chestnut-breasted Whiteface scurrying on gibber, including 1
which perched obligingly on top of a dead twig
and clearly showed the chestnut band.

Though a bleak place which took scouring from 11.24am to 4.25pm, it also gave
me Thick-billed Grasswren as a lifer -
thankyou.  It also had Rufous Fieldwren, but otherwise had only 6 other species
in all those hours !!  Teet, make sure you
allow plenty of hours here - it is partially a needle in the haystack job.  The
area has some flatter parts but also rolling
hill type country and the birds could be in any of the little valleys.

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW, Australia
33 50' 17" S  151 05' 25" E