birding-aus

Re Cunnamulla RFI

To: "David Geering" <>
Subject: Re Cunnamulla RFI
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 18:00:19 +1000
Hi David,

It is now some years since I have done much in the Cunnamulla area. A
couple of places close to town and easy to access are the sewage works and
the weir on the Warrego. If you go beyond the Caravan park in the southern
part of town a couple of streets become dirt tracks and run you into some
sand dunes if you poke about in there it can be reasonable for birds. The
weir is also south of the town 5kms or so I think from memory the run out
there is on bitumen.

I suspect the 'Turkey Nest' Ronald Orenstein is taking about is 9 mile or
Eulo bore which is 14 kms east of Eulo and is well know to most birders.
Look for an open area of flattish gibber on the right. Set well back from
the road you will see a long stock trough and a 'Turkey Nest Dam' behind.
This is certainly a top Halls Babbler and Burkes Parrot location.

If you travel east from Cunnamulla on the St George road the country runs
out of Warrego floodplain after about 20 kms into a series of low sandhills
where there is quite a distinct vegetation change and usually some good
birds.

Going west over the bridge beyond the airport turnoff there is some wettish
at times country with Eremophilla polycladda, this area is good for wrens
and woodswallows.

Going north of the town there are a number of station roads that lead back
on to the river. But you would need to get some local knowledge.

I would suggest you make contact with Paroo Shire Council who used to have
a very good Tourist Liaison Officer who's surname was Cameron I think. She
would I am sure be able to help you. Monty Schrader who was mentioned by
Ronald has been dead for many years now. Another person you might be able
to get on to is Hugh Bushell whose family had an interest in a property
east of Cunnamulla in the sandy country, which used to be a CSIRO research
place many years ago. If Bushells still have an interest there it is quite
a good area to go. We camped there a couple of times with other QOS members
in the 80's. Hugh used to have a motorbike repair shop behind one of the
Stock and Station Agents, Tannocks I think. I am sorry I can't be more
specific as I have lost touch with people over the years. As I recall there
were a couple of people atlasing out there during the first atlas but I
can't recall names now. Maybe if there are any current ones you could get
on to the current atlas RO Nicci Thompson on ""

If you wanted to go further afield to Thargomindah contact Kenny Manktelow
who runs Bulloo River Retreat at "Thyangra Station" 07 4655 4341 he is also
the Bulloo Shire Tourism Officer and a friend of mine.

Regards John

John & Ruth Walter,
PO Box180,
Pittsworth,