birding-aus

Lake Eyre (from John Boyce)

Subject: Lake Eyre (from John Boyce)
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:32:18 +1100
The birding-aus filters seem to be doing a good job of blocking attachments. They are also stopping quite a few legitimate messages. Here's another one!

Hi everyone
just a couple of short notes and questions.  My parents and brother are in
the middle of a round aus trip and have just told me that there is still no
water visible at the Marree end of South Lake Eyre.  Still some good birds
around with them finding Chestnut-breasted Whiteface at the Thomas and
Thomas site after a lot of searching and Inland Dotterel along the road.
I will have a few days in the Cairns area at the start of July, staying for
a couple of nights at Julatten and will be doing the Chris Dahlberg Cruise
and probably a wait-a-while spotlighting trip.  However I would love to
hear of any recent or reliable information on any of the following birds
(or any others really).  With reference to the Russet-tailed Thrush does
anyone know which of the calls on the BOCA tapes is Russet-tailed and which
is Bassian Thrush as I guess call is one of the best diagnostics?

Bustard
Cassowary
Beach Stone-curlew
Great-billed Heron