birding-aus

"The Life of Birds" videos - fourth time lucky!

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: "The Life of Birds" videos - fourth time lucky!
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:50:49 +1000
Some time ago, I wrote about the woes I have having trying to buy a set
of the wonderful "The Life of Birds" videos.  The three sets of tapes
that I tried (two from Canberra, one from Melbourne) suffered from
serious audio distortion on the third tape - the recording level had
set too high, resulting in signal "clipping".  This had occurred during
the local video production process - the episodes screened on the ABC
were fine, and I haven't heard of any problems in the UK.

When I recently checked the ABC Shop, they didn't have any copies
available - so much for waiting for a new batch!  Looking further afield,
I checked the BBC Shop web site on the Internet; they have the tapes for
sale, but only to people in the UK.  A friend at work told me about an
Internet video store in the UK that she was very happy with; I won't
mention their name (email me for the details.)  Their prices are
comparable with Australia, and postage is included in the price - a big
plus, since postage costs to Australia can cancel or exceed the cost
savings you can get buying overseas (particularly books.)  I received
the tapes tonight - it's a genuine BBC copy, and doesn't have the audio
distortion.  Hooray!