birding-aus

Cairns RFI results

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Cairns RFI results
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:20:00 +1000 (EST)
Several people have asked me to pass on any info I received from around Cairns.
So here's  a summary.

I hope no-one minds......
Thanks to Kieth and Lindsay Fisher, Lorne, Edwin Vella, Jon Hall and
Richard Baxter.

Cheers
Phil.

> 1. Cicadabirds in both Rainforest and drier areas.
Try Mossman Gorge and some of the roads around Julatten.

> 2. Red Goshawk sites (I need better views)
They were around Abbatoir Swamp Environmental Reserve between Mount
Molloy and Julatten towards the end of last year. I dipped on them in
December though.

> 3. Buff-breasted Button-Quail (I need better views)
Mount Molloy, Mount Carbine... who knows. Ask Lloyd Nielson at Mount
Molloy.

> 4. Tree Kangaroos and Couscous sps
Daintree River, Mossman Gorge and Cape Tribulation for Bennet's and
Lumholtz's Tree kangaroos. I think.

1. Cicadabirds in both Rainforest and drier areas.
Not easy to see at that time of year as most have left the area or gone
quiet, I do see them
occasionally all year round on Redden Island but only the odd one at this time.

2. Red Goshawk sites (I need better views)
Have not heard of any sightings for quite some time - even Ron up at
Kingfisher Park has not had
anyone who has seen one for several months.

3. Buff-breasted Button-Quail (I need better views) Don't we all!
Not seen in the area for a very long time - Lloyd Nielsen has been working
on them and only has a
few sightings in the last few years and not from around here I believe.

4. Tree Kangaroos and Couscous sps
Tree Kangaroo - Thomas Road, just out of Yungaburra towards Atherton on
right hand side of road -
spot for Rufous Owl. I have not seen them here myself but have heard they
are here. Also Curtain Fig
Tree also just out of Yungaburra on left hand side of road. Malanda
Environment Park is another
spot. What's that last word? is it Cuscus? You will have to go way up on
Cape York for them, I've
seen them at Iron Range.

I can only supply you locations for the Cicadabirds where I have seen them:

For dryer area - Mt Carbine area

For Rainforest - Daintree River near the village and Cairns Botanic Gardens

If you are not aware the dryer upland birds are probably a different
subspecies than the lowland rainforest birds. Seen Cicadabirds in these
different areas make disitnct differences in their calls.

Phil, can't help much on the birds I am afraid (though I had good views of
Cicada Birds on the Daintree river trip run by Chris Dahlberg   )

You won't see Cuscus near Cairns - you have to get up the Cape into Iron
Range NP.

Lumholtz Tree Kangaroos are scattered around the Atherton Tablelands.
Mount Baldy is a good spot - take a (maybe the only) forestry track up the
hill and start looking as soon as the eucalypt forest becomes rainforest.
The Crater National Park is a good area (good for all the relic possums
too) - the track up to the car park from the road is very good for all sorts
of things and try walking alongside the highway to look for the
tree-kangaroos if you don't see them inside the park.  The Curtain Fig is
reputed to be another good spot.  Wait-a-while tours run out of Cairns can
probably find you a Tree Kangaroo if you take their excellent tablelands
tour (see http://www.waitawhile.com/. for more info).

Greetings Phil,
               1) Tree Kangaroos- There is a bloke on
the Atherton Tablelands, his name is Jack.  I can't
recall his surname.  He has a business called "Birds
and Barra".  It is on Lake Tinaroo and does a day trip
on the lake.  He's got a boat with a very quiet
electric motor which he goes up creeks and through the
rainforest.  It is a good day with lots of birds and
we had three Platypus swimming around the boat. There
are also several reliable spots for Tree Kangaroo and
we had pretty good views of them.  The electric motor
allowed us to sneak up, from the water, to lots of
good stuff. eg, Carpet Python, Green Ringtail possum,
White tailed rat and tree kangaroo.  He also does a
spot lighting trip at night for owls, possum, tree
kangaroo etc.  Overall a good day which I can
recommend.  I'm suprised he doesn't advertise more. If
your interested and can't find him under Birds and
Barra let me know and I'll look in my Atherton
tablelands visitors guide.

2)  BBBQ.  Lloyd Neilson at Mt Molloy.  You probably
already know him.  He is a bit busy at the moment
trying to get his latest book finished.  He's been out
of town and I think arrives back on the 10/6/00.

3)  Red Goshawk - Some bloke from the Queensland
National Parks was studying 2 pairs around the Mary
River area of Nth Qld last year.  They were definately
there and he would know their nest site.  Lloyd
Neilson and Del Richards from Fine Feathered Tours
know his name.  Lloyd also knows the location of a
nest up near Lakefield N.P.(Nth Qld) which he visited
last year.
If you come to the next Hunter Bird Observers Club
meeting on Wednesday and find Phillip Rankin(I'll
introduce you if you don't know him).  He was up in
Cape York(Lakefield area I think) in December 99 and
he had good views of Red Goshawk and nest.  He would
be able to tell you how to get their.

Dr Phil Hansbro
Discipline of Immunology & Microbiology
Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences