birding-aus

Magpie Geese and White-throated Honeyeaters

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Magpie Geese and White-throated Honeyeaters
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:36:08 +1000
Thanks Alan Morris (NSWFOC). You're quite right of course. I hadn't intended
to imply that these two birds were at the southern limit of their ranges,
only towards the southern end. Of course, they are both to be found south of
the border, down Newcastle way.

Maybe I've been in Queensland too long! I remember at the time of the first
atlas, in the late seventies/early eighties Magpie Geese were scarce this
far south, despite their having been absolutely prolific way down south way
back when. But yes, they have since crept up on us, and even past us with
their renewed southern thrust.

And with the White-throated Honeyeater too, I did perhaps display something
of a Queensland culture bias. I had intended to suggest only that these were
towards the southern end of a distribution which runs from Cape York, to say
Nambucca Heads,  - but I certainly agree that the Lockyer Valley while
somewhat towards their southern limit, is by no means on it.

Nevertheless, the point is well taken, and I shall put those rather
generalised comments of mine down to sitting at the machine after a good day
and letting my fingers do the talking, without being as precise as I should
have been. But it was a good day for us!

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org/>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056