birding-aus

Birds and Police Encounters

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Birds and Police Encounters
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 09:07:24 +1000
Allan Benson's story, which provided me with a good laugh, reminded me of a
police encounter when I was in Western Queensland
on Richard Jordan's Emu Tours' trips.

We were atlassing which meant Richard was dropping us off in groups of 3 people
up the road in 1 kilometre intervals over 5
kilometres, and then he'd do the run back to pick us all up about 30-40 minutes
later (after we'd found our wonderful birds
of course).

At one stage we were near Sandringham property and Bedourie, but "near" means
we were still basically "in the middle of
nowhere", certainly not a town or house in sight for a long long long way.

Nevertheless, a policeman just happened along, just happened to stop to talk to
us, Richard explains we're birdwatching.
Slightly bemused policeman.  He then drives off about 2-3 kilometres ahead and
then just happens to turn around and go back
to wherever he's originally materialised from.

So even though there didn't appear to be anyone around, someone obviously
reported these funny suspicious people disappearing
into the bush and coming back out - what could they be up to?!!

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW, Australia
33 50' 17" S  151 05' 25" E