birding-aus

Beautiful Firetails and Brush Bronzewings in NSW

To: <>, <>
Subject: Beautiful Firetails and Brush Bronzewings in NSW
From: "George Appleby" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 09:34:54 +1000
G'day all

I've read with interest about the Beautiful Firetail records in the Capertee
Valley. I am wondering what sort of habitat the species uses in this area and
areas nearer the coast.  It would make an interesting comparison with BF
(sorry!) habitats in Tasmania and Gippsland.

cheers

George

>>> "Allan Morris" <> 06/15/00 08:30pm >>>
Hi Birders,
Ihave been interested in the comments about the presence of Beautiful Firetails
in the Capertee Valley. Based on information provided to the editors of the NSW
Bird Reports, the first records for the species in the Valley was 1 seen east
of Capertee by Neal & Judy Russill on 30 April 1994 and one at the property
"Rockview" Glen Davis on 7 August 1994, seen by Barry Pascoe. It was noted at
the time that this represented an extension of the known range of the species.
The previous known north-west limit of range was from the Cox's River across to
the Colo River and north to the Widden Valley (Morris, McGill & Holmes 1981
Hndlist of Birds in New Sout Wales).
Since 1994, the bird has been recorded gain at "Rockview" Glen Davis when 4
were seen on 2 April 1995; 2 same place 5 April-25 May 1997 by Barry Pascoe,
Elizabeth Karplus et al; In 1998 Chris Gladwin  recorded them in the "Capertee
Valley" 1 June & 5 July, (I have not completed compiling the 1998 Bird Report
as yet so there may be more records for 1998 and also for 1999). However it
looks as if the bird is well established in the southrn part of the Capertee
Valley at present. In 1997David Geering recorded a further extension of range
to the north east when he found them on theWomerah Trail, Parr SRA on 18 April.
This is the first occasion that they had been found east of the Putty Road and
north of the Hawkesbury River. It is most probable that actual northern limit
of their range has yet to be fully defined.

I was surprised to read about the Brush Bronzewing near Maroubra. At first I
thought that surely there must be some records for Botany Bay National Park
around Cape Banks & Henry Head. However my research showed no records for  that
stretch of the coast from South Head to Cape Banks. However they are regularly
sighted in bushland on the northern side of Sydney Harbour and south of Port
Hacking. As more sections of the coastal strip between South Head and Cape
Banks are permanently reserved and the coastal heath allowed to grow back,
maybe the Brush Bronzewing at Maroubra is the first of a return to a resident
population.

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer