birding-aus

favourite garden birds

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: favourite garden birds
From: "Michael Todd" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:28:39 +0800
Hello Birding-ausers,

I'm living in Lakefield NP on Cape York Peninsula at the moment so I guess I can count birds that occur around the building I'm living in as being in my garden although I don't do any gardening.

Among my favourite garden birds at the moment would be:
Grey -crowned Babblers- which are very fond my Toyota Hilux as a good place for mating and various other activities including crapping on the car seats when I leave the windows open.
Great Bowerbirds- they've got a bower just outside that they adorn with various items from the QPWS workshed often including missing nuts and bolts.
Squatter Pigeons- which feed on fallen seed around the barracks.
Boobook Owl- which spends the day in the workshed.
Bush Stone-curlews- which fill the night air with wailing
Masked Owl- which adds to the night noises with screeches every now and again.

I've just got to work out how to get the Star Finches and the white-bellied Crimson Finches to come into my garden also so I don't have to go out to study them! They are a bit inconsiderate of me I'm afraid.

Mick Todd

Michael Todd
Finch Researcher
Tropical Savannas CRC