birding-aus

Lewin's rail

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Lewin's rail
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 07:49:08 +1000
I saw what appeared to be a Lewin's Rail on Hope Island at the northern end
of the Gold Coast on Sunday.  I say "appeared to be" because it was pouring
rain and quite dark at the time.  I am very familiar with banded rails and
this bird was more lightly built, smaller and a much longer bill.  Before I
could obtain a closer look a car drove down the road and "it" disappeared.
This in an area where I have seldom seen a car before.  If there is anyone
living or visiting the area, I will be happy to give directions if you
contact me direct.

What I am interested in are any reports of Lewin's Rails in thhe northern
Gold Coast area.  It would be nice to know whether I COULD be correct with
my ID even if it wouldn't count as a tick (if I did tick).

Terry Pacey
TOOWOOMBA QLD 4350