birding-aus

Private Charter Report on Sandra "K"

To: <>
Subject: Private Charter Report on Sandra "K"
From: "Janice G Jenkin" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:56:03 +1000

Wollongong June 7th 2000  -  Sandra K  Private Game Fishing charter
Observations and banding by Lindsay Smith & Cpt. Carl Loves.

Left the harbour at 06.40, conditions 15-20 knot S.W. wind on a 2-3 meter swell, cloud cover 1/5th confined to the horizon.

Birds:

Wandering Albatross  5 including  2 brown birds one of which was a 1st year bird, from last season.
We managed to capture 1 Wanderer. D.exulans.

The bird had previously been banded inshore at Bellambi by members of the NSW Albatross Study Group on July 27th 1980.
Band number 140-33299.  The Gibson Plumage Index had change very little in that 20 year period indicating that it was and adult when first banded.  We still have no idea of it's origins, 20 years on.

Shy Albatross T.cauta  were numerous with 20-30 through out the day, most showing signs of post breeding moult.

Three Shy Albatross were captured and banded by SOSSA researchers. One of these appeared to have a bent neck holding it's head to the side in a most unusual manner, when captured it was found to be blind in the Left eye. The bird otherwise appeared healthy.

Black-browed Albatross T. melanophris  Small numbers throughout out the day , 7 including 2 Immatures together whilst drifting.
One Adult captured and banded.

Campbell Albatross T. impavida.  Not observed inshore numbers picked up in 70 fathoms, small numbers only 3 observed at one time.

One Adult  caught and banded.

Buller's Albatross 2 birds attended the boat whilst we were drifting (Good Photo op.) Sooty Albatross P.fusca.  1, The was first observed at distance before coming to the boat. It did the fly around at 30-40 meters gave the once over and just kept going.

Giant Petrels:  only 4 birds observed during the day of these 2 were captured and banded both were Northern Giants and appeared to be cohorts by behaviour and measurements.  To which species the other two belonged remains a mystery.

Great-winged Petrel, ? 1,  this was an all dark bird and appeared to be of the race P.macroptera

Prions: Many birds about, mainly Fairy prions with some unusual birds amongst them these appeared to be Antarctic Prions.

Storm-petrels:  Wilsons Storm-petrels were quite abundant with up to 6 about the boat at one time.
                       Grey-backed Storm-petrel 5 birds in total observed whilst drifting up to 3 at one time .
                       Black- bellied Storm-petrel 1 attended the slick.

Fluttering Shearwaters about in small numbers inshore.

Huttons Shearwater  about in small numbers one captured and banded (Good opportunity to see the differences in the hand)

Australasian Gannet several groups of upto 50 birds mainly inshore sitting on the water.

Kelp Gull mainly inshore up to 10 birds adults and immatures no banded birds observed.

White-fronted tern 2  birds only observed both followed the boat for some time.

Crested Terns  Small parties of birds throughout the day up to 15 attended the boat whilst drifting.

NO FISH CAUGHT  No sea monsters observed.  Carlos the fisherman "Tell them" I saw the SOOTY ALBATROSS and I don't care because I didn't catch a fish.

SOSSA  "Wildlife Research" H.Q - Wollongong
Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association Inc.
P.O. Box 142, Unanderra NSW Australia 2526

Lindsay E. Smith & Janice G. Jenkin-Smith

Janice G. Jenkin.JP.,CMCA. Civil Marriage Celebrant
P.O. Box 142, Unanderra NSW Australia 2526

Phone +61 (02) 4271 6004
Fax   +61 (02) 4272 4626
Mobile 0418 603 007
Email: