birding-aus

Adelaide and the Mallee

To: <>
Subject: Adelaide and the Mallee
From: "PAUL ROSE" <>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:20:43 +1000
Hello fellow birders,

After almost a year of quietly observing the chat on-line and being impressed
with the majority of dialogue and reports, I find myself as an author for the
first time.  I've been in Australia for just over a year now after spending a
life in Britain, Canada and NZ.  I've concentrated my birding efforts within
Victoria so far and I am about to travel west and northward.   Adelaide for
professional reasons for 3 days, and then 3 days to head back to Melbourne.
Would like to pick your brains on the Adelaide region, botanical gardens,
conservation parks, the like, on prime birding locations.  Have perused some of
the reading material on Birding Sites in Australia but no substitute for
first-hand knowledge given the changing conditions that seem to flood through
Australia.
Looking at regions directly around Adelaide and south of Adelaide  (school
visits are to Willunga, Seaford, etc.)  Probably needing to give Kangaroo
Island a miss this time round unfortunately.   Really keen on hitting regions
of the bigger parks in northwest Victoria on the way back.  Special locations,
routes and side-roads would be welcome, with hints on which hikes to do, bush
to explore, given my limited time.  I have an AWD Toyota Corolla wagon with
diff. lock.    Wyperfeld ??  or...  Hattah-Kulkyne ?? or ...
Please peruse my hit list if you have the time and feel welcome to make any
suggestions.  Is Bool Lagoon worth a visit on the way to Adelaide ??
Pink Lakes Park ???   Little Desert ??

I'll stop writing now or no one will bother reading this.
Here's the hitlist, some of which I realise are real specialties while others
are common and should be encountered in more than one place.  Some I just
haven't encountered yet which I think rather odd.
Thank you for taking the time to initiate me fully into the system.  Looking
forward to meeting some of you on some pelagics which I can't wait to get back
into.
Cheers,
Paul

Bird HitList for Adelaide/Mallee Trip in June/July

Malleefowl
Freckled Duck
Black-faced Cormorant
Lewin's Rail