birding-aus

An Index for the Birds Australia's "Atlas Record Form"

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: An Index for the Birds Australia's "Atlas Record Form"
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 22:27:48 +1000
g'day All,

On some occasions I have spent up to 15 minutes looking for the common name on the form.
[ The older I get, the more visual (and perhaps mental) blocks I seem to get ! ]

But I am sure that it has happened to every Atlasser at some time ?

With the help of the Atlassing crew at Birds Australia, and a computer literate neighbour who reformatted the BA list, I now have a 2 page index of the names printed in Alphabetical Sequence with a cross-reference to the line number where it is listed on the Atlas Form.

 Here is a cut and paste extract from one column of the Index:

238 Heathwren, Shy
48 Heron, Nankeen Night
43 Heron, Pied
47 Heron, Striated
39 Heron, White-faced
42 Heron, White-necked
72 Hobby, Australian
303 Honeyeater, Banded
299 Honeyeater, Bar-breasted
287 Honeyeater, Black-chinned
292 Honeyeater, Black-headed
267 Honeyeater, Blue-faced
293 Honeyeater, Brown
289 Honeyeater, Brown-headed
294 Honeyeater, Crescent
304 Honeyeater, Dusky
284 Honeyeater, Fuscous
283 Honeyeater, Grey-fronted
281 Honeyeater, Grey-headed

i.e. the Nankeen Night Heron is the 48th bird on the form.

I have a manually marked up an Atlas Record Form with the line number for every 5th name.

The Index is available as an  EXCEL attachment.

Please e-mail me if you would like a copy.

For those who do not have Excel, mail me a stamped self-addressed envelope for a copy.
My preferred size is 220mm X 110mm.

Regards.... Bob Forsyth
Mail............ PO Box 933, Mount Isa, Qld, 4825
E-mail........
m("topend.com.au","isabirdo");">
Phone....... (07) 4743-3210
Heat........... is just a state of mind !   (but cold is for real !)