birding-aus

If not Fiji then where?

To: S Cooney <>
Subject: If not Fiji then where?
From: Laurence and Leanne Knight <>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:51:21 +1000
S Cooney wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It seems like we may not be going to Fiji after all.  So where should we
> go?  FNQ has been raised in dispatches, specifically the Lotus Bird Lodge
> and then some time in Cairns, including a morning Dahlberg Daintree river
> trip.
>
> If we do choose to head north, can anyone answer the following questions:
>
> Where should we stay in Cairns?
> What other birding type tours should we do in Cairns?
> What should we avoid in Cairns?
> Has anyone stayed at Lotus?

LBL is a good spot for a birder to stay, and is accessible by
conventional vehicle and [importantly for some, only an hour from the
nearest pub].

I spent a week there last December as part of the QPWS bird survey
[though most of the furniture had been removed in preparation for the
wet].  I suggest going for a walk along Saltwater Ck - goes past some
nice billabongs [complete with red eyes].

John Augustyn was the local naturalist, and if he is there, he is good
value and will be able to point you in the right direction to see the
local birds [golden shouldered parrots, star finches, grass owls, yellow
whiteyes etc.]  If you have a 4WD, and things have dried out, then a
drive up to the beach near Running Ck is good value [not sure if you
need to liaise with property owners].  Some people saw palm cockatoos
there.

I suspect LBL has a half-priced standby system [perhaps you could stay
at the Musgrave pub if it doesn't work out ...]

Regards, Laurie.