birding-aus

Re: mystery bird on Southcape cheese wrapper

Subject: Re: mystery bird on Southcape cheese wrapper
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 13:10:42 +1000

Edwin asked about the identity of the bird featured on the wrapping for
'Southcape Cheese'. Believe it or not, this is supposed to be an illustration of
the Orange-bellied Parrot - well, the bird does have an orange belly.

South Cape, at the bottom of Tassie, is close to the type locality of the OBP
[Acteon Islands] and well within its former breeding range, although a bit
further south than the current breeding range. Therefore, its an entirely
appropriate choice for the Southcape Cheese Company's logo. They just need to
get a new artist, that's all.

Peter Menkhorst

PS. I can recommend the cheese!

Then it was off to Woolies, where Lorne had to buy some groceries. Here we saw
some cheese from Tasmania with Southcape on it. We saw some "unusual bird" on
the cheese (can't see it matching any bird on any Australian field guide). Next
time somebody goes to Woolies, Franklins etc, and sees this cheese, and if they
are able to identify the bird, could they let myself and Lorne know what bird is
featured on it, as we are very curious!!!