birding-aus

Biting flies

To: <>
Subject: Biting flies
From: "Michael J Hunter" <>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 08:18:26 +1000
Hi,
    In brief the answer is  YES,Qeensland has many biting mosquitoes, and sandflies on the coast and islands,and mites in rainforest.There are several possible diseases you can pick up from mosquitoes and mites, including Dengue Fever, two kinds of Encephalitis , Malaria in Torres Strait in particular, three kinds of Typhus.
   HOWEVER, the risk of disease is very small, and virtually non-existent if you are sensible . Lightweight long-sleeved shirts and pants saturated in permethrin [used for lice on childrens hair], as well as frequent applications of tropical strength insect repellant on exposed parts will protect you from insect disease vectors in Queensland and Torres Strait.
  Sandflies dont carry human disease as far as I know, can cause nasty skin reactions, and may not be deterred by repellant according to some people, but I have never found them to be a problem with "tropical strength" preparations such as Aerogard and Rid.
 I have had much more trouble with sandflies ["noseeums"] in Canada than ever in Queensland.

                    Take care and you will love Queensland, its a virgin Australian birders paradise.

                                       Cheers

                                        Michael
                                        Dr.Michael Hunter