birding-aus

RFI - west Queensland

To: andrew stafford <>
Subject: RFI - west Queensland
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:16:01 +1000 (EST)
Hi again Andrew,

I can offer at least a couple of general obs (the dry inland feels much more
'home' to me than the deck of a ship, much as I've enjoyed my few pelagics!).

I've posted this to the list, just in case it's of any use/interest.

One curious thing about SWQ (which is a fabulous place, for birds and
everything else!) is that the gas industry has put down bitumen roads
everywhere! Certainly it's sealed as far as the Cooper a couple of hundred
kms west of Thargomindah (and don't forget to detour to Noccundra waterhole
while out that way), and further north a bitumen road heads for well over a
100k west into the dune and gibber country west of the Cooper from Windorah.
In other words, you can do good roadside birding even when side tracks are
inaccessible through rain. For the rest, a 2WD is fine for most places,
though be wary of sand (eg better not try to get to Currawinya Lakes, though
the rest of the park is well worth while). For what it's worth, we run a
tour through that area (and will be doing so again in July) in a 22 seater
Toyota Coaster! The pubs at Windorah and Noccundra are good sources of info
on road conditions etc.

>* Any semi-reliable locations for Inland Dotterel,
>Flock Bronzewing, Redthroat and Painted Honeyeater;

Problem is that that ID, FB and PH are typical arid land birds in being
nomads, so follow the conditions. Those conditions certainly favour them at
present, but also do so across much of the NT and WA as well, so it'll be a
lottery. Redthroat is not too uncommon, and sedentary. Look for it in any
bushy understorey, especially along creeklines and among rocky areas.

>* On a non-birding note, does anyone know how and
>where to find Bilbies, Kowaris and the like out that
>way?

The Bedourie area is supposed to be a Bilby stronghold, but these things are
relative!! Their numbers should be up (relatively!) in response to the good
conditions too; all you can do is spotlight in dune country. Kowaris
likewise I imagine, though more in the gibber plains of the Channel country.

Good luck! We're heading up next week for a couple of weeks off in some far
north NSW parks, and just into Qld at Culgoa Floodplains NP (east of
Currawinya).

Cheers, and I look forward to hearing how you get on,

Ian
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 02 6249 1560  fax: 02 6247 3227
---

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"