birding-aus

Pelicans and Lake Ayre

Subject: Pelicans and Lake Ayre
From: Peter Pfeiffer <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:27:29 +0900
At 09:41 AM 5/22/00 +1000, you wrote:

>I like many after seeing the 60 Minutes story, are keen to plan a trip out to
>see Lake Eyre.
>

>Q1   Has anyone made the trip out there already, particularly from Sydney?
 I'd
>like to know   you impressions, which route is quickest, how long does it
take,
>whats the accomodation   like etc.
Hi Paul,>

We went to Lake Eyre in mid April. We camped at Muloorina Station by the
waterhole they have there ( bore-water ),a top spot. That was a days drive
from Adelaide. You hit the dirt from Lydhurst. There's not much out there
accomodation-wise except for Muloorina or Marree.

>Q2   Hughes Island is the pelican breeding location.  Does anyone know if you
>need any  special permit to access it?    How do you get onto it anyway?

The best way to see all the water and Hughes Island would be to fly over
it.  When we went in April there was no water at the spot where the
Bluebird monument is. You could see water in Lake Eyre south heading to
William Creek on the Oodnadata Track.

>Q3   Will the pelicans still have chicks there is late June?
>
>Maybe.

Cheers,
        Peter.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"