birding-aus

Where have the lake Eyre Pelicans come from??

Subject: Where have the lake Eyre Pelicans come from??
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:36:24 +1000
Hi all,

There's been a fair bit of comment about the Lake Eyre Pelicans
in their hundreds/thousands but I'd like to pose the question
of "Where have they come from?"

For a couple of years I've been running regular, monthly surveys
of coastal raptors in southern Moreton Bay, (just south of Brisbane),
funded by Coastcare.  We follow a set course (70+ km) and go
at much the same time and tides each time.

In addition to the raptors, we count other birds including Pelis and,
although I haven't looked over the numbers in detail, my impression
is that there has been no drop in Peli numbers.  We had a trip
yesterday in glorious weather (for a change) and saw a good number
of Pelis. My count sheets are at home so I can't give actual nubmers
off hand.

This would suggest that the Lake Eyre Pelis are not from Moreton Bay,
so where have they come from?  Is anyone else doing coastal counts
and has anyone noticed any decline in Pelis at their local spot?

It will also be interesting to see if there is any noticeable
increase in nos. later in the year as immatures make their way
to the coast.

Cheers

Pete

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science.             Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"