birding-aus

some creatures and ostriches

To: <>
Subject: some creatures and ostriches
From: "Lorna Bloom" <>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 12:58:08 +1000
I have seen four on Lorne's list.  I'm intrigued to know how and what prompted you to compile this list of such diverse creatures. I'm looking forward to reading about the others.

BAT EARED FOX - seen in Kruger Park in South Africa and Serengeti in Tanzania and as the name implies it is a fox with extra large ears.
SERVAL - In the cat family.  Also seen in the Kruger Park.  Larger than a domestic cat with very long legs.  It is striped to start off with and then a second colour phase when the stripes are replaced by spots and it is then known as a Servaline Cat.
COLOBUS - I have seen the Angola Pied in the Usambara Mountains and Serengeti in Tanzania.  A fairly large blue/black primate with an appearance of a long white cape on it's back, usually seen high up in the trees.  Very handsome.
PEL'S FISHING OWL - as it's very rare it was a mega tick for me when I went to the Okavanga Delta in Botswana.  There was a pair just outside our camp and their calls at night sent shivers down my spine they were so eerie.  It's a huge owl, slightly larger than a Powerful Owl, a magnificent creature in rich orange and rufous colouring.  A sight never to be forgotten.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who answered my queries about Ostrich exports from Australia.  I have enclosed the note from Pat Macwhirter's "ostrich vet of note" to the author of the book where this subject came up and I now await to see if I ever get a reply.  I'm inclined to agree with Philip Veerman when he suggested that Americans don't really know the difference between emus and ostriches or for that matter perhaps even Australia and Africa?

Lorna