birding-aus

Newhaven Fantasy

To: <>
Subject: Newhaven Fantasy
From: "Harry Clarke" <>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 06:46:51 +1000
It is good to see Birds Australia take the Gluepot and Newhaven initiatives.  I will make a Newhaven contribution and gain a warm inner glow. But what about dramatic action? I think John Wamsley raised $12 million in his recent public float of Earth Sanctuaries Ltd.  This would buy around 17 Newhavens.

Birds Australia might be more adventurous than John W. Sell shares in a public float designed to raise $20 million.  Objective to get 2000 people to invest $10,000 a piece (on average) in conservation or 20,000 people to invest $1,000. Charge fees for access to all sites purchased and/or operate them as ecotourism sites and give access at a discount to shareholders. Invest seriously in protection from ferals and not just mindless public sector/greenie 'buy-it-and-leave-it, dumb-assed philosophy'.  Appoint business managers who probably will not be bird watchers to run these operations at a profit so they can be self-sustaining and perhaps even (eventually) pay a dividend to shareholders. Ask for government subsidies because activities provide external benefits to the whole community in conserving biodiversity.  Think about joint-ventures with groups such as Earth Sanctuaries.  Offer equity to people who donate land. Offer equity to farmers who pursue conservation objectives. Offer equity to those providing labour services as wardens and managers.  Offer equity (at a price) to the Bird Observers' Club etc etc.  Market the value of nature observation, organise tours at a price, sell threatened species to ensure their conservation, shoot ferals (and charge for it) etc etc.

Yeah it is a fantasy but eventually it will happen.  More people need to adjust their outlook towards the idea that the environment will be more appreciated when we value it (in terms of the stuff that constitutes our paypackets) at something greater than zero and that if enough people want a good conservation outcome they can and should pay for it.  I paid $26-50 for a slab of Carlton draught at Dan Murphy's today and couch-potatoed a rainy Saturday afternoon watching old movies. Why should I be unwilling to pay $26-50 for the glorious day I spent at Baileston earlier this week looking at hooded robins, peregrine falcons.......?

Harry Clarke.