birding-aus

Bird Poetry Competition

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Bird Poetry Competition
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 21:54:59 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Everyone,

I've just recently made up an email base for entrants
to send their bird poetry competition entries too. Yes
we are having a bird poetry competition, to raise
funds for the Birds Australia land acquisition.

The Bird Poetry competition will stay open until
Friday, June the 30th., 2000.

The address for sending your poetry entries is:

So if you have some verse or words YOU have put
together why not send them in, you could win some nice
prizes.

What I and Lorne of the Birding-Aus email list have
thought of is this, we should run a bird poetry
competition with the completed poetry works being
allowed to be sold to greeting card manufacturer's for
the cost of a donation to Birding Australia?

I thought the email base would make it easy for the
judges to judge all that comes in.

A good friend of mine Michael Ryan of the Independent
Newspaper network wants in and wants all info as we
work out the why's and where for's.

I and three other judges agree with Merrilyn Serongs
proposal on the age groups for the competition.

They are:

Up to and including 7 years + 364 days,
>From  8 years of age to 9 years + 364 days,
>From 10 years of age to 11 years + 364 days,
>From 12 years of age to 13 years + 364 days,
and finally 14 years and over.

I've got some prizes in the way of bird books,
environmental care books etc etc already and I am
making up some nest boxes and feeding trays plus the
lovely Denise up in NT wishes to donate some of her
beautiful T shirts for prizes. ICE have given me some
computer cd's. As the prize list grows I'll keep you
all informed.

All (reasonable) entries get a special certificate?

And any funds raised go to Birds Australia (the old
RAOU) to help out with the land acquisition campaign?
What good advertising this will make. Let me know asap
anyone that would like to help out with prizes.

Happy Bird writing,

John A. Gamblin