birding-aus

Trip Report - Queensland

Subject: Trip Report - Queensland
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 22:10:31 +1000
In the first part of May, I did some birding in North Queensland, near Mackay and near Brisbane. With 4 other interested and interesting people, I joined Klaus Uhlenhut's (Kirrama) Golden-shouldered Parrot 5-day tour to the Musgrave, Julatten and Daintree areas near Cairns. Following the tour, I flew to Mackay to look for the Eungella Honeyeater and thence to Brisbane to try to see some other northern species which had until now eluded me.

This was my second tour with Klaus and he was again very professional and successful in showing each of us the special birds of the area as well as the birds on our personal wish lists. We had very good views of male and female parrots on the road near Windmill Creek and later, Klaus found a nest in a termite mound containing about 3 nestlings and an egg. The male and female later returned to the nest and we had the classic views of this rare species. Other good sightings near Musgrave were Black-backed Butcher Bird, Black-throated and Masked Finch, Bustard, Beach and Bush Stone-Curlew, Barking and Boobook Owl, Papuan and Tawny Frogmouth.

Around Julatten we were shown among others the Lesser Sooty Owl, and at Mount Lewis we had good views of a Blue-faced Finch on the road at the upper site before an Eastern Spinebill spooked it. On Chris Dahlberg's Daintree Cruise (part of the tour) we were shown Little Kingfisher and a juvenile Great-billed Heron. Squalls near the coast blew in 2 female Lesser Frigate Birds which we saw from the coast road.

I drove from Mackay Airport to the site described in Thomas & Thomas at Eungella in about 1.5 hours. It was late when I arrived but the honeyeaters were responsive to pishing and I had glimpses of 2 before it got too dark. The call as described in Pizzey and Knight (starting like a Drongo and finishing like a Willie Wagtail) is very easy to recognise. I returned the following morning in continuous light rain from above and leeches from below and again only caught glimpses of the bird.

From Brisbane Airport I drove to Yarraman and spent in all about 7 hours at and near the Black-breasted Button-Quail site mentioned in T & T without success. From there I had a side trip to Bunya Mountains and looked for the Sooty Owl roost site again from T & T and again without success.

Back in Brisbane I spent a little time at Thorneside searching for the Mangrove Honeyeater and eventually found some near the Boat Launching ramp south-west of the point. A better place to find these as well as Mangrove Gerygone is the mangrove walk in Boondall Wetlands accessible from Nudgee Beach. The other part of the wetlands sign-posted from the Motorway near the Airport seems not as good for mangrove species.

Please contact me if you require further information.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"