birding-aus

Square-tailed Kite

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Square-tailed Kite
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:01:54 +1000
A beautiful, well-coloured Square-tailed Kite was cruising the back gardens
of Gatton yesterday morning, about 10 minutes east of us, in the Lockyer
Valley .

>From a distance, his fingered primaries and wingspan gave an initial
impression of a Little Eagle, a bird that has been around here for the last
month or so, but as we got closer and got a look at the underwing and tail,
it became clear what he was. We followed him to & fro around residential
streets for some time as he explored the back yards, quite harrier-like in
his low, systematic criss-crossing.

We wondered if he was after chooks; later someone mentioned that a lot of
people free-range their guineapigs!

I got a fairly good underwing shot of the Square-tailed Kite, which I've put
it on the Abberton website along with some other new photos. There is a link
below for anyone who'd like to have a look.

11 Glossy Black-cockatoos came over Abberton on Sunday morning. We are still
getting Red-tailed Black Cockies quite regularly, but these are the first
Glossies for quite some time.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org/>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056