birding-aus

Waterfowl - how do they know??

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Waterfowl - how do they know??
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:00:49 +1000
Roy Sonnenburg wrote
. . .They take advantage of these conditions to breed and come from near and far. . .
. . .Any clues anyone?   Or as with many things avian do we just don't know?

G'day all,
I also don't know  how !
I also don't know  why !
But is something different also happening this year ?

Our Lake Moondarra is now absolutely bare of waterfowl
No Ducks, Swans, Coots, Crested Grebes, Pelicans etc
. . .only a few Darters and Little Black Cormorants.

Our Sewage Ponds only have a handful of birds that have
stayed behind.
For instance where there were normally +1500 Pink-eared
Ducks there are now 5 !

Yet a pair of Pacific Black D's who did stay behind have just
bred in a pond on our Leichhardt River at the north end of town.
(The 1st Atlas did not show them breeding at all in the Isa area)

On April 2, at Urandangie (150km SW of Mount Isa)
breeding Plumed Whistling-Ducks, Australian Wood Ducks
and Grey Teal were seen with their ducklings.

Strangely, the first Atlas did not record any of these 3
species  (breeding or not) in that 1 degree square.
We sighted another 10 species also not recorded at all in
 that 1 degree square by the 1st Atlas.

Over the Easter, between 5 and 40km Sth of Winton (again
with John and Sue O'Malley) several species were sighted
 that may be considered outside of their normal territory.
(Plum-head Finches, Pictorella Mannikins, Rufous-Throated
H/e and Chestnut-breasted Quail-thrush)

It rained both at Urandangie and Sth of Winton !

Is anything different happening this year ? Possibly not !
Maybe, the answer is that birdo's don't generally go
atlassing  Australia's inland during the wet breeding season
and the Atlas only reflects for inland Australia the records
taken during the dry and cooler "tourist" season ?

Western Qld and parts further Sth are slowly drying out and
this may allow observers to get in quickly and check out the
rivers and billabongs before they dry out, and perhaps give
us an insight of "where have they gone". . other than Lake Eyre.

The question of "how do they know??" is much more difficult.
I'll just keep looking for my lost socks

Regards...Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, Qld.