birding-aus

Fwd: Fits and starts

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Fwd: Fits and starts
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 00:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
A forward from those towing the wombat shelter?

Subject: Fits and starts

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 01:29:42 GMT

Hi everyone,
Well the car was giving us fits but now it starts
fine. Actually, the problem was not the starter but
the cam shaft. We really think the car wanted us to
stop at Narooma for a few days so it broke down there.
Narooma is a beautiful little coastal town and we did
enjoy our stay there. One of its residents told me
that in a
recent article in the National Geographic, Narooma was
rated as having the fifth best Mediterranean climate
in the world. We stayed in a caravan park right beside
the water. We couldn't get far because we didn't have
a car for three days but we went to things within
walking
distance. We took pictures of ouselves sitting on
Australia Rock. That is a rock formation near the
shore which has an opening in it roughly the shape
of Australia. We climbed up on it and sat just above
the Great Australian Bight. The sea there was
beautiful with huge surf and lots of boats. Narooma
Ice Creamery
has a fruit salad with ice cream and whipped cream
that was worth the trip all by itself!

Next we stopped at Ulladulla and stayed at a caravan
park on Warden's Head. There is a pretty little
lighthouse there and a park with a walk through the
woods that is also a sort of gallery of aboriginal
art. All the signs along the way are in pictures
instead of
words. For instance, there is a pond and marsh along
the trail and the signboard there had three drawings
on it. The first showed a snake swallowing a frog; the
second, a group of frogs on trees and on the edge of a
pond, and the last, a frog catching a dragonfly. There
were paintings on the trees too and they were
wonderful. You would come around a curve in the trail
and there would be a painting of a bird or animal.

>From a lookout near the lighthouse, we watched a
White-bellied Sea Eagle take a shearwater from the
surface of the water. It flew back toward us and, much
to our delight, flew right over us. I had the camera
going and should have a great series of shots. You
could easily see the shearwater in his talons as he
flew overhead. From Ulladulla, we went inland and
stopped at Richmond. We were going to check in with
Major Ingram at the base, but he was in Canberra, so
we
went on over the Blue Mountains and inland. We are
camping at Wellington now and I'll tell you about the
area next time.

Thanks for your e-mails. We really enjoy them.

Hugs,
Sid and Sharon