birding-aus

Ruddy Duck deaths

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Ruddy Duck deaths
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:52:41 +1000
Linda Gunter, who works with the Safe Energy Communication Council in
Washington DC, (a non-profit environmental group which watch-dogs the
nuclear power industry), has told me about the death of a number of what I
take to be Ruddy Ducks at Nine Mile Point nuclear power plant on Lake
Ontario.

She advises that the incident report sent to the Nuclear Regulatory
Commission reads:
"The licensee notified the New York Department of Environmental Conservation
and the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service regarding the death of 101 blue billed
ducks. The ducks were discovered after the circulating water system was
realigned from reverse flow to normal flow. "

The incident happened on 28 January of this year.
While I have no idea to what extent this kind of thing happens, or whether
it is in any way a function of the facility's being nuclear-powered as
opposed to fuelled in any other way, I do feel that it is the sort of
incident that we should all be concerned about, and can look to learn from
once we know more about its causes.
I have asked Linda to keep me in the picture about developments. I'll post
any updates I receive.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org/>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056