birding-aus

Indicators for the season ahead

Subject: Indicators for the season ahead
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 12:43:44 +1000

G'day all

After three dry winters in a row, southern Victoria is looking for a real
"gumboot" winter this year.  Lately I have seen some unusual events which
indicate plants and birds are expecting something out of the ordinary.

1. The ironbark (Euc sideroxylon) in our garden has just finished a rather
sparse flowering episode.  It normally flowers in July-August.  There are no
more developing buds that I can see.

2. Two weeks ago in Melbourne, Black Swans were building a nest in the Banyule
wetlands

3. I passed a pair of copulating Masked Lapwings on my way to work this morning
(they probably thought the fog would give them more privacy than it actually
did)

I don't know what it all means but would be interested to hear of any similar
observations in southern Victoria.

Cheers

Steve Clark