birding-aus

GPS info

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: GPS info
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 11:45:49 +1000
Hello all,

For those interested I append the following. extract from a Birdchat letter.
from Noel  Womer,received 2/5/00

".Some birdchatters may by using the Global Positioning System (GPS), some
may have read the excellent article about it a recent issue of Birding, and
others may have just heard about.  But whatever, there is big news today
about the system.  The US government today at 07:00 EDT will end the policy
of Selective Availability (SA).  SA is an intentional degradation of the
satellite signals that reduced the accuracy of GPS for civilian uses,
reserving the true accuracy of the system for military purposes, or those
willing to spend a couple of thousand $US for a heavy backpack unit.  This
degradation limited the accuracy of the system to about 100 meters.
Without SA the accuracy of the system will be within 15 meters, and
probably much better most of the time.

What could this mean for birders?  I think it is a boon for any of us
involved in any type of biotic survey work, be it a breeding bird atlas,
surveys, etc.  Observations can be mapped with a high degree of confidence
in the accuracy of the location.  It will make it possible to produce very
accurate maps of the trails, habitat patches, restricted/sensitive areas,
etc. in our local natural areas.  This will only help us interpret the
natural world and promote conservation."

Reg Clark
11 Carmen St
St Ives NSW 2075
Australia