birding-aus

Strange colours

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Strange colours
From: "richard jordan" <>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:37:10 +1000
Hi everyone,

I have just returned from a trip into northern NSW in which I found two birds in unusual colour forms:
a) Monday 24 April - near Oakhampton Homestead, 14km north of Manilla - a mostly pure white Pied Butcherbird with a dark eye and pale brown tail/tail coverts. There were several normal PB's nearby. The bird has apparently been around for some months and had been causing much speculation as to it's identity. Is 'leucistic' (or leukistic) the term for this form, and is it a chance mutation?

b) The other bird was an all-black Willie Wagtail found on 27 March at the beachside car park at the start of the littoral rainforest walk near Iluka. I believe this is called a melanistic form.

Other highlights were Plum-headed Finches at both the Borah Travelling Stock Reserve (where there were also lots of Turquoise Parrots) and the Mille TSR near Barraba, and a couple of very obliging Noisy Pittas at the Dorrigo National Park (Glade Picnic Area) on 29 April.

Richard

Richard Jordan
Emu Tours, PO Box 4, Jamberoo, NSW 2533, Australia

www.ozemail.com.au/~emutours/