birding-aus

The drongo season at Redcliffe

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The drongo season at Redcliffe
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 09:37:05 -0700
Hello all,

Julian Bielewicz reported on 18/4/2000 that his first sighting of Spangled Drongo in his area for this year had occurred that morning.
I responded (20/4/2000) that my first record this year had been on 12/2/2000. I also queried what the season for drongo was.
My reason for asking that question is contained (I hope) in the following and is asked out of genuine interest and is not intended to infer criticism of anyone or anything:

Julian and I both live in suburbs of Redcliffe City, a somewhat mysterious (mythical to some news media reporters) place bordering the north-east perimeter of Brisbane.
I live in the south-eastern suburb of Woody Point and Julian lives in the north-western suburb of Kippa-Ring.
As the crow flies, Julian is (when we are both at home) less than 3km slightly west of north from me.
(I don't see drongos flying in a straight line very far or very often so I have used the 'crow' analogy in this case.)

The two suburbs are basically residential areas with the main differences being:
    Kippa-Ring reaches on to Deception Bay, contains a significant wetlands and has some light industry;
    Woody Point has water frontage onto two bays, Bramble and Moreton, and, although smaller in area, is probably more densely populated.
    Woody Point is almost entirely developed for residential living and is the older suburb.

I have lived in Woody Point (my property was considered to be in Clontarf Beach when I was a child) for a long time (over 50 years) but have only been keeping detailed sightings records for the area for a few years now. Since April 1994 I have been keeping written weekly records of species recorded in and around my backyard, i.e., a list of each species seen at least once each calendar week.
The following table lists the week (and day in some cases) of my first Spangled Drongo record for each year (except 1994, records start in April '94) and the months sightings were recorded for the years 1994 to present:

1994     Records in: April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct.

1995     First record in week commencing 29/1/95
            Records in: Jan to Dec.

1996     First record in week commencing 14/1/96
            Records in: Jan to Oct.

1997     First record in week commencing 16/2/97
            Records in: Feb to Sept

1998    First record in week commencing 15/2/98
            Records in: Feb to Nov

1999    First record 14/2/99
            Records in Feb to Oct

2000    First Record 12/2/00
            Records in: Feb, Mar, April..........

My records from that period do show that drongo is more obvious in the winter months as Julian points out. However, during the years 1995 to 2000, the first drongo had arrived in my backyard by mid-Feb and regular sightings (almost every week) were made until Sept with the odd sighting during Oct, Nov and Dec in some years.
Unfortunately, following a computer upgrade, my bird database has become unworkable and sifting through older records is very time consuming. However, a record in Mar 1982 (around about when I first began to write down any of my records) and another in Feb 1988 may indicate that sightings so early in the year may not be a recent phenomenon.
Graham Pizzey in his 1980 edition of his "Field Guide to the Birds of Australia" comments that Spangled Drongo is a winter visitor to the Moreton Bay area.
The records of Julian, myself and others show that numbers are highest during the winter months but my records show that drongo regularly arrives (from the south?) in Redcliffe in obvious numbers during the last month of summer. Although those same records show that drongo can be seen during Oct to Jan, I would suggest that those birds are just 'passing through' - possibly to or from breeding areas in NSW.

As I don't consider a sighting of Spangled Drongo in February to be 'unusual' I did not think of reporting to (QOSI) BIRDLINE. Sorry!
I guess I should have reported the 4 drongos harassing a Collared Sparrowhawk for 15 minutes over my backyard on 12/4/00??

Until that day (and since) I had only seen single birds this year. Obviously there are more drongos in the area than I had realised.
Incidentally, I may be missing out on a few Spangled Drongo records as the ones around my place regularly mimic the calls of Pied Butcherbird.
I am learning to take more notice of PB calls (which are quite common; the afore-mentioned Collared Sparrowhawk was also being harassed by 12 PBs, 2 Magpies, 6 Blue-faced Honeyeaters and a rather timid Figbird!).
I think that 4 drongos together is the most I have ever seen so I am extremely envious of Fran Guard with her experience of 20 to 30 at once.
Imagine 20+ 'character' birds with the 'attitude' and flying skills of Spangled Drongo interacting in your space. That would be an experience of a life-time!

Fran's comment that Spangled Drongo is absent from her area (100km north of me and JB) during winter is interesting. Maleny, approx 500 metres higher in altitude than Redcliffe, can be somewhat cooler than Redcliffe at that time of the year. However, the Australian field guides don't mention altitudinal migration; they do mention north and south movement after breeding (in eastern NSW?) and suggest that drongo is both sedentary and migratory (along with - resident, nomad, summer vagrant, winter vagrant).
Movement after breeding seems to be to both warmer and cooler climes.Could it be that the 3 sub-species have different habits in that regard?

Not having recorded actual numbers with my records I can only make a subjective assessment as to numbers in any given month.
My subjective assessment is that the 'core' part of the drongo season is, for me, from May to August with high expectations of sightings between February and September, inclusive. But.....sightings of Spangled Drongo in South-east Queensland should not be treated with suspicion if reported during the remaining months of the year.
Further proof of this are the following personal sightings in the region:
    Kin Kin (north of Sunshine Coast) 7/12/91
    Nudgee (northern suburb of Brisbane) 22/12/91
    Coal Creek (north of Ipswich) 27/2/93

All of this leaves me with the point-to-ponder:
What is it about the two suburbs described above that causes such a difference in the impression of the 'season' for Spangled Drongo?

Bob Inglis
Woody Point, SE Qld.
Australia's premier Drongo holiday resort.