birding-aus

Red-capped Robins

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Red-capped Robins
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 12:03:30 +1000
The first Red-capped Robin of autumn arrived at Abberton on Thursday, 27th
April, a strikingly plumaged male bird. I managed to get a couple of
photographs which I've just put on the Abberton website  - do have a look,
he's a beautiful bird!

There was also a very red-breasted female robin, with prominent wing
markings. My first thought was Scarlet Robin, but I just couldn't manage to
get a look at her frons to see if it was white or maybe reddish. I note that
Pizzey mentions that red-breasted female Red-capped Robins occur, so I don't
want to make any assumptions about the identity of Thursday's female.

We don't see all that many robins up here, they are regular in small numbers
from this time of year on, but not enough for me to have gained any real
familiarity with them. Would anyone care to comment please on the occurrence
of red-breasted female Red-capped Robins?

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org <http://www.abberton.org/>

Email:  <>
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056