birding-aus

Update on East/West Connector Road - Barnes Creek

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Update on East/West Connector Road - Barnes Creek
From: "J & M Cooper" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 05:02:38 +1000
-Well folks, just when we thought we had won the battle and saved the mangroves the Government is trying to do the dirty on us.  Why should this surprise me.

DPI have refused to revoke the permit to destroy the mangroves for the road until 2002.  This means that after the election next year they will once again push for the start of the road.  Henry Palaszczuk M.L.A., Minister for Primary Industries and Rural Communities assured the Mackay Conservation Group that Barnes Creek would be returned to Fish Habitat Reserve status once the road was cancelled.  Ha Ha.  He now denies this.

As for the mangrove dieback, all the politicians are saying that there is no proof that the dieback is caused by the sewage and that it is probably natural and nothing can be done about it.  It is very strange that none of these people will go into Bassett Basin with us to see where the sewage has created a dead landscape at its outflow point.  They are also totally disregarding Dr. Norm Duke's research into this matter.  The dieback has accelerated and possibly 20% of our mangroves are dead.  This is a great loss of bird habitat as well as a loss to the whole ecosystem.

If any of you still have the strength to push buttons could you please lodge your objections with our Premier, Mr. Peter Beattie as well as our Minister for the Environment, Mr. Rod Welford.

It looks like we will still have to go to the Fisheries Tribunal for the final onslaught.

The Premier, Mr. Peter Beattie - the
Mr. Rod Welford, Minister for the Environment - environment&