birding-aus

Noisy Pittas

To: "Brian Everingham" <>
Subject: Noisy Pittas
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:06:06 +1000
At 14:50 28/04/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>Given all the attention to Noisy Pittas recently I was wondering what
>information there was on when the bird makes its normal calls. Is there any
>pattern as to time of year or time of day when its call is more regular
>and/or when the bird is likely to be silent?
Hi Brian

I've been interested in these birds and have done some work on their
calling patterns (Emu 97:121-125).
Their day-time calling is quite seasonal, September-February with a peak in
Sept-Oct around Brisbane, may very slightly with breeding further north.
In winter they hardly call at all but just on dusk you may hear
just one or two calls given by a ? pair. In summer they will also call
at night.
Diurnal patterns show a peak of calls at 0500-0600, lower peak 1000-1300
and a peak at dusk 1800-1900.

Cheers

Pete
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science.             Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"