birding-aus

Aerial Baiting with 1080

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Aerial Baiting with 1080
From: Anthony Overs <>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 10:00:00 +1000
Hi everyone

Some additional info about 1080 poisoning.

Raptors:
Dr Penny Olsen from ANU  is probably the best person
to talk to about raptors and poisoning.
Here is most of the blurb from her book Australian Birds of Prey:

... Occasionally, large numbers of raptors become unintentional victims of
meat baits laced with 1080 left out for foxes, dingoes or pigs. Raptors have
a relatively high tolerance to 1080: LD50 (the dose which kills on average
half of a sample population to which it is fed) for Wedge-tailed Eagles is
9.5 mg per kg and for Black Kites 18.5 mg per kg. To be killed Black Kites
must eat about 13.7 per cent of their body weight in bait (compared with <2
per cent for dogs), dependent on the application dose rate. Nevertheless,
Black Kites and Wedge-tailed Eagles have been killed during poisoning
campaigns. Poisoned individuals may take several days to die or if they
recover they are often unwell and vulnerable to predation during this
time...... There have been no studies on the effect of poisoning campaigns
on raptor populations, but it can be assumed that laying baits at night, or
burying them, reduces the risk to raptors.

Other fauna groups:

After a quick discussion with some guys in the office here in Queanbeyan I
have found some details on studies conducted on Spotted-tailed or Tiger
Quolls (Dasyuris maculatus) in the south-east of Australia. Andy Murray from
NRE in Orbost completed this study and found that many quolls retrapped had
taken baits. Instead of laying poison baits they laid baits with a
bio-marker. Native animals are somewhat tolerant to 1080 compared to dogs or
foxes, but poison accumulation does lead to deaths. Sixty per cent of the
sampled quoll population were able to locate and consume an
aerially-deployed meat bait in a single baiting operation which suggests
that aerial baiting at that intensity used during this trial may pose a
serious risk to quoll populations. There is a population of Tiger Quolls on
the central Queensland coast and could be subjected to poisoning campaigns.

The reference for the above study is:
Murray, A.J., Belcher, C.A., Poore, R.N. and Darrant, J. (2000) The ability
of Spotted-tailed Quolls to locate and consume meat baits deployed during a
simulated aerial baiting program. Prepared for the Australian Alps Liaison
Committee and the NSW NPWS. east Gippsland Flora and Fauna Group Report No.
9.

Goannas have been described as the 'garbage-guts' of the Australian reptile
fauna and may consume baits. What is the impact on species like this??

Hope this information is of some value.

Cheers
Anthony