birding-aus

spangled drongos

To: <>
Subject: spangled drongos
From: "Frances Guard" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:58:24 +1000
Hi birders,
I was interested to read recently the comments about spangled drongos and
their "season".  I live at Maleny which is about 90 - 100 km north of the
two previous correspondents, (ie north of Brisbane), on the Blackall Range
approx 300 m above sea level. My curiosity was aroused, so I looked back
through my monthly counts for the Atlas over the last 20 months, and found
that drongos were present in all months but June, July, Aug. and Sept.. They
are a common and noisy member of my usual counts, but obviously spend winter
elsewhere.

On the other hand, I work at Woombye , below the Range, and at times, in
winter (I think), there are 20 to 30 drongos out my surgery window!  I will
take more notice this year of the dates, to check if this is altitudinal
migration. Is this the season you were referring to ?

Fran Guard
"Dilkusha"
214 Maleny- Montville Rd
MALENY   4552