birding-aus

Re: Cicadabirds, Pacific Bazas and Frogs

To: "Reg Clark" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Cicadabirds, Pacific Bazas and Frogs
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 18:40:02 +1000
Reg adds something that may be relevant. There could be a connection here
but I don't see any. Isn't it more easy to suggest that it was just marking
out a potential territory like any other migrating bird does. The bird's
behaviour was just like that of Trillers, Songlarks, Whistlers, Cuckoos and
all sorts of other things. That the birds' calls reminds us of cicadas,
doesn't mean that it does the same to either of them. The similarity to the
sound of a Cicada could easily be entirely irrelevant or coincidental to the
bird.  What Reg describes, certainly does not imply that the cicadas
responded to the call of the bird either.