birding-aus

'EAST-WEST CONNECTOR ROAD SCRAPPED!!!

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: 'EAST-WEST CONNECTOR ROAD SCRAPPED!!!
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:32:42 +1000

Excellent news.  This is a fine example of people taking care of local environment issues and how much can be achieved on a local issue which may be “relatively” small, but is an essential part of keeping the whole “big picture” environment together.

In my emails to the various government officials, I added the following paragraph:

Constant development of “little bits” of land fast add up to a huge loss of habitat.  We have already lost too much through decades of taking “just a little bit”.  Birds, fish and other animals have little enough habitat as it is and removal of even a few trees may be sufficient to break up the continuity of the habitat.  The mangroves in the above area are an important part of Queensland and Australia’s total environment and, with circumspection, we can have both the environment and industry.

I firmly believe that every bit counts.

Let’s make sure we thank Steve Bredhauer and other government/official parties as well.

Irene Denton

Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW, Australia