birding-aus

Where are the honeyeaters?

Subject: Where are the honeyeaters?
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:53:51 +1100
Hi all,

Exactly a month ago on 14th March I wrote that the Yellow-faced Honeyeater
migration through the Blue Mountains had started early. However after that
we had a long run of bad weather and the migration virtually fizzled out
except for the odd day here and there. On 5th April we had a sudden cold
snap and that usually seems to trigger the big movement, so I watched
expecantly on all the clear days. It's now the middle of April and we STILL
haven't seen any more than a small trickle of YFHEs.

Today the flocks have been the most noticeable of any day this year so I
went outside to count them, and in 15 minutes only 33 YFHEs and 16 Spotted
Pardalotes flew over my house! Usually by this time there are thousands of
honeyeaters an hour on good days - even last year when numbers were
considerably down I had seen a lot more by this date. I notice on the COG
list that Canberra birders have been watching big numbers from around the
31st March, but they haven't come through here.

Where are they?

Carol

(P.S. Apologies for cross-posting.)

Carol Probets